Monday, May 06, 2013

more than a miracle


(miracles are not really about Olympic hockey games)

More than a miracle

Have you ever seen a miracle?  Not an amazing buzzer-beating shot in a basketball game…but rather the genuine article, a disease gone, an addiction removed immediately and forever, that sort of thing.  I sure hope I do someday, but so far I haven’t with my own eyes.  But I do have family members, friends and others I trust who say they have…and I believe them.  Jesus’ ministry on earth was replete with miraculous signs and wonders, used not merely to prove his power, but always to prove a larger point.  Perhaps none was more startling than the raising of Lazarus from the dead.

“Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”  When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!”  John 11:41-43
Lazarus was blessed to have more time on Earth… more time with his family…more time to tell those he met about Jesus.  But at some point in the future Lazarus died…again.  The gift of new physical life was finite.  We are right to pray for miraculous intervention in our lives and those we care about.  But even the most mind-blowing event alone cannot give us eternal life.  That gift comes through faith in Jesus alone.  It takes more than a miracle.

“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” – Hebrews 11:1


Thanks for all you do.


Brian
<>< 

Volume 7, Number 7

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home