Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Humility


(I always wanted to grow up and be a professional athlete...didn't work out so well!)

Humility

At a lunchtime gathering of local Christian business people last week we did one of the old standard ice breaking routines.  Around the table we talked about what we did for a living, how long we had lived in the Triangle and something interesting and unique about us.  One of the participants shared how excited he was to be going on his first overseas mission trip.   That’s pretty cool I admit.  But the funny thing was I know for a fact this guy played three seasons in the National Football League. And based on the looks of the rest of the table, I'm pretty certain that would have made for a unique statement!  

I can't say for certain why he didn't bring his professional sports career up...but I have been in other settings with him where it wasn't used as an intro either...and when I know him a little better I am sure going to ask.

"Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you" - Romans 12:3

I think the truth of the matter may lie in a unique reality of the Christian faith; the simultaneous attitude of humility and confidence that comes from the Gospel.  Humility (the knowledge that I am less than I ought to be) without the Gospel leads to shame.  Confidence (the knowledge that I am more than I could be) without the Gospel leads to arrogance.  But resting in the completed work of Christ... being both a sinner and saved ... makes what we are more important than what we once were.

Be thankful for a Lord that loves us as we are!

Thanks for all you do.


Brian
<>< 

Volume 6, Number 51

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home