Monday, July 16, 2007

We have met the enemy

We live in Perrysburg, Ohio, named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, hero of the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. Perry was the first to ever defeat an entire British naval squadron and capture every boat as a prize. The victory was a major turning point in that conflict. In reporting to General William Henry Harrison, Perry wrote the words for which he is remembered; “We have met the enemy and they are ours.”

There are days when I feel like my motto is; “I have met the enemy and he’s winning.” The Apostle Peter wrote, “Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” I guess that means it’s not just me. Everyone faces the same kinds of trials at times. It can take the form of discouragement, of depression, of doubts, fears and loneliness, you name it.

“My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” Psalm 62:1-2

We can always find rest in God. We can always count on him to be the fortress that protects us from the enemy. In Him we can find the courage to turn and face the enemy, to rush headlong into battle and to win like Perry did.

We have met the enemy and, with God’s help, we will be victorious!

Brian

<><

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:40 PM EDT, Blogger Brian Megilligan said...

Hey cool, a post... and I was about to delete this address from my list! Thanks for keeping these going. When are you gonna publish these?

 
At 1:32 PM EDT, Blogger Brian Keel said...

hey... it's only been 256 days between posts... see what happens when you don't spend 2.5 hours in the car every day??

 
At 9:35 PM EDT, Blogger Rob Eubank said...

Wow...it seems like just yesterday...or a year ago...that I read something on this blog. Welcome back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home