Monday, July 17, 2006

Background Noise

(pick up a shell and hear the ocean!)

We just took a trip to the North Carolina coast and spent several days enjoying the beach and the warm waters of the Atlantic Ocean. What an incredible vastness the ocean has. It helps me remember how small and insignificant I am. At the same time there is no more soothing sound than the constant crashing of the waves against the shore. It’s as if those waves are washing away all the stress and discordant parts of my life. Sometimes I think I could sit there on the beach forever.

But nothing lasts forever, and eventually duties as a husband, father and employee beckon. With that, the stress and discord eventually start to creep back in. I wonder then, is there something that can provide a soothing “background noise” back home?

The obvious answer is to buy a CD of recorded surf sounds! Or to listen to music, classical perhaps, or jazz, or Christian praise and worship music. Music can provide a pleasing backdrop for the day. But it’s much deeper than that, of course.

Periods of silence can help. Jesus often sought solitude to recharge or just to start the day on the right note. Quiet and prayer are central to the example He gave us.

But I think maybe the real key is to remember how the ocean made me feel like a mere grain of sand, and how incredibly vast our God is. He set the heavens in motion and is still in control of it all. Even my small, insignificant life.


Brian

<><

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM EDT, Blogger Brian Megilligan said...

"Jesus often sought solitude to recharge or just to start the day on the right note. Quiet and prayer are central to the example He gave us."

I sometimes think about how Jesus would do his ministry if God had ordained his time to be the 21st century. Would Jesus have a blog? A cell phone? Would he live in South Dakota or LA? India or Brazil?

I wonder what the proportional quiet time for us would be to His while he was on earth. There seems to be an ever-increasing number of gadgets demanding our attention.

I'm embarrassed that some of my quietest times are in the car, in the drive from work-home, intentionally with the radio off, the ipod off and living in my own quiet world--for 15 minutes.

Quiet times are so invaluable. (Just while typing this I have been interrupted twice!) I hate that I have to adjust my schedule in order to plan in quiet time, but I guess Jesus was intentional about his quiet times--early in the morning...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home