Friday, June 02, 2006

What makes this thing work?

From The Mountaintop to the Valley

What makes this thing work?

I’m writing this on an airplane in the midst of a five hour flight to Seattle. The seat in front of me is pushed way back, of course, I miss my family already, and the food was underwhelming. Still, I appreciate the hard work that goes into making a trip like this possible. I’m certain it would take many days to make such a trip by car, bus or train. With that kind of timeframe, I would have stayed home.

Occasionally, as I look out the window at the earth 6 miles below, I realize that THE EARTH IS 6 MILES BELOW! What in the world am I doing up here in the sky? And what makes this thing work? I understand the basic theory of wing shape and airflow and relative air pressure, but I could never build or fly an airplane. So, I’m forced to have faith that the designer and the pilot both know what they are doing.

Life is a lot like that. I can’t begin to understand how the world all fits together so well. I can’t fathom how a baby grows from two cells to a smiling, laughing infant in my arms. I can’t comprehend the vastness of the universe. And I certainly don’t understand why all the good and bad things I’ve experienced had to happen the way they did. So I’m forced to have faith that the designer and pilot of it all knows what He’s doing.

Because I could never fly this life on my own.

Brian

<><

1 Comments:

At 7:48 AM EDT, Blogger Rob Eubank said...

What an awesome perspective, Brian...it also helps to have good friends in life to keep you from taking a nose-dive at times...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home