Saturday, June 17, 2006

Obscurity

(will we be remembered???)

Do you ever wonder if you make a difference? Do you ever wonder if anyone notices what you do? Do you ever think you are living in obscurity not really helping make the world a better place? I suppose we all have these feelings at one time or another. Even a position with the YMCA or other ministry work is no guarantee that you will feel 'relevant" each and every day.

A friend and colleague shared this quote recently: "I feel I shall be buried for a time, hidden away in obscurity; then suddenly I shall flameout, do my work, and be gone". This is how Oswald Chambers felt during his lifetime... author of the classic devotional My Utmost for His Highest... who died while serving as a YMCA chaplain in Egypt during World War I... a special YMCA edition of his book is on my desk right now...If a man who has touched literally millions of lives with his work felt obscure during his lifetime, why should we feel any different?

Chambers insightful writing was not published until 1935, fully eighteen years after his death, through the hard work and devotion of his wife Gertrude. It seems his life really did reflect the feeling expressed in his quote.

I pray that each of you will see the fruit of your labors in your lifetime. I'm certain that each of you makes a profound difference in the lives of many people.

I know that you do in mine.

Thanks for all you do.

Brian

<><

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home